In middle age, you start to observe a loss of muscle mass, accumulation of fat deposits, and a loss of bone density. But don’t worry, things are still in your hands. Start exercising! Here are nine exercises specifically for women over 40.
Burpees are the exercise we all love to hate. We love ’em because they work, we hate ’em as they are hard to do.
Here’s how to do a burpee:
- Stand with your feet apart(shoulder width). Put all the weight in your heels.
- Bend your knees, push your hips back and lower your body into a squat.
- Now put your hands on the floor, inside your feet.
- Jump your feet back to softly land on your feet getting into a plank position. Make sure your body is straight from head to heels.
- Take care to not let your back sag or your butt stick up in the air, as both can keep you from effectively working your core.
- Jump on your feet back so that they land outside of your hands.
- Reach your arms overhead and explosively jump up into the air.
- Land and immediately lower back to a squat for your next rep.
A plank works at your core muscles and the lower back. It will relieve you of back pain if you do this exercise regularly. To do this exercise, take the support of your forearms and extend your body in a straight line, taking the support of your legs through toes. Stay in this position for as long as possible.
Perfect butts lose their shape once you cross the 40s. To keep them in shape you need to do squats. It is a strength exercise, where the starting point is standing position. Then you lower your hips until they are at knee level. Now get back to the starting position, this is one rep.
You can extend the arms as shown above.
Stand straight, look straight ahead. Take a Barbell. Hold the bar somewhat wider than shoulder length at chest level. Lift the bar directly over the head. Do not tilt or bend your hips.
5. Y-to-T raises
Relax your body, stand straight. Take a dumbbell in each hand. Now bend your body at the hips and lean forward bending the knees and do as shown in the video below.
6. Glute bridge
Lie down on the floor, facing upward. Bend your knees and place your arms on the floor. Now slowly lift your hips off the floor until knees, hips, and shoulders are on the same line. Hold the position for 4 or 5 seconds then return to the starting position. This counts as a rep. This exercise works on your back muscles.
7. Elliptical machine workout
It’s an awesome cardio workout for women over 40. Issues you have with other cardio exercises won’t result from this workout(Joint pains, Injuries). This exercise if done for 30 minutes will burn a lot of calories. You can learn it quickly. It works on both upper and lower body parts.
8. Take a walk!
When was the last time you went out casually on a walk? If you do not like to walk alone, take your pet with you. Walking is not only a good physical workout, but it also calms your mind. Take a refreshing morning walk daily and you’ll be amazed by the results!
Don’t like the conventional workouts? Do yoga instead. Yoga is beneficial not only to your body, but it also makes your mind better. It increases flexibility in your body, increases self-confidence. Go to your nearest Yoga-Instructor or learn from an online resource.
Here are some stretching exercises to make you as flexible as a cat.